Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Zebras :)


WHITE AND BLACK ALL OVER!!


My favourite animal is a Zebra, I love zebras for their stripes. I also love zebras because they are very familiar to my other favourite animal, a horse! There are three species of zebra: the Plains Zebra, Grévy's Zebra and theMountain Zebra. The Plains zebra and the Mountain zebra belong to the subgenusHippotigris, but Grevy's zebra is the sole species of subgenus Dolichohippus.


Zebras are African animals best known for their white and black stripes. Their stripes come in different patterns unique to each individual. They are generally social animals and can be seen in small harems to large herds. In addition to their stripes, zebras have erect, mohawk-like manes. Unlike their closest relatives, horses and asses, zebras have never been truly domesticated.


The unique stripes and behaviors of zebras make these among the animals most familiar to people. They can be found in a variety of habitats, such as grasslands,savannas, woodlands, thorny scrublands, mountains and coastal hills. Grevy's zebra and the Mountain zebra are endangered. While Plains zebras are much more plentiful, one subspecies, the quagga, went extinct in the late nineteenth century.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Christine, I am a girl in the other class just so you don't freak out that there is someone you don't know following your blog. Nice First Post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christine! I am Jamie's friend and we've met before. But the same thing as Jamie. Don't freak out that I am following you :P But nice post!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! That's the only thing that came through my mind while reading this post. You gave so much good information and kept the post interesting through out the entire thing. Maybe a bit longer next time, but still, truly remarkable! This is a great first post. Guess what, I love zebras too!!! But this post really reminded me why!
    KEEP IT UP!!
    ANDY TAKHAR!

    ReplyDelete